Bournville Quaker Meeting House - An historic Gem!

The Friends' Meeting House in Bournville is near Linden Road and the Village Green. Built in 1905, architect W. Alexander Harvey. There is a bronze bust of George Cadbury facing the green.


Where is the Bournville Quaker Meeting House?

The Bournville Quaker Meeting House is located at 65 Linden Road, Bournville, Birmingham,

B30 1JT

Bournville Quaker Meeting HouseBournville Quaker Meeting House from the Village Green (April 2010). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

In brief

The Cadbury family were Quakers. The Quaker Meeting House in Bournville was built in 1905 to the designs of W. Alexander Harvey. After the death of George Cadbury in 1922, a bronze bust was erected at the side facing the Village Green, and his ashes are buried below.

 

Bournville Quaker Meeting House - history of the build

Built of red brick with stone dressings in 1905.  It is now a Grade II listed building.

The Bournville Meeting was established in 1882 with the relocation of the Cadbury chocolate factory from central Birmingham, to their new site to the south of the city, it was re-named Bournville in 1879. Following the opening of the new factory in 1879, George Cadbury built a small number of houses for key workers close to the factory. The Bournville Village Trust was established in 1900. The purpose built Quaker Meeting House was built in 1905. Built to the designs of William Alexander Harvey.

Internal changes to the meeting room in 1935 included the removal of the rostrum; the replacement of a platform; and the removal of panelling within the arch of the south hall. An extension was made in 1960 for a children's room with a smaller library and cloakrooms by Selby Clewer, the chief architect of the Bournville Village Trust. The library was opened in 1988 to make a lobby area, and the main hall was re-roofed, internal front doors were added, and ancillary facilities were reconfigured.

Bournville Quaker Meeting HouseBournville Quaker Friends's Meeting House (July 2019). Photography by Daniel Sturley

 

The bronze bust of George Cadbury

A bronze bust of George Cadbury (1839 to 1922) can be found outside and can be seen from the Village Green.

Bournville Quaker Meeting HouseBournville Quaker Meeting House from the Village Green (April 2010). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

Interior of the Friend's Meeting House

During Birmingham Heritage Week, the Friend's Meeting House is one of the venues of Bournville open for a free visit to go inside. Such as on Saturday 11th September 2021. There is a pair of black and white photograph portraits of Dame Elizabeth Cadbury (1858 - 1951) and her husband George Cadbury (1839 - 1922). There was also an exhibition inside about the Quakers, and of the Friend's Meeting House itself.

Quaker Friends' Meeting House

Quaker Friends' Meeting House

Quaker Friends' Meeting House

Quaker Friends' Meeting House

Quaker Friends' Meeting HouseInteriors of the Bournville Quaker Friend's Meeting House (September 2021). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

Christmas Tree at the Quaker Meeting House

The Christmas tree outside of the Quaker Meeting House is permenant and can be seen from Linden Road and the Village Green all year around.

At Christmas time it is decorated and is a popular attraction. It is a Cedar tree, and was planted in 1948 by Dame Elizabeth Cadbury, in the year of her 90th birthday.

Bournville Meeting HouseBournville Quaker Meeting House from the Village Green (December 2017). Photography by Elliott Brown

 

Further details:

Quaker's website

0121 458 2420

 

Project dates

26 Apr 2021 - On-going

Passions

History & heritage, Civic pride, Classic Architecture

Contact

Your Place Your Space

Jonathan Bostock

0121 410 5520
jonathan.bostock@ yourplaceyourspace.com